Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can dumpcap show dropped packets statistics ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:46:37 -0700
Jeff Morriss wrote:

(AFAIK the number of dropped packets is whatever the capture mechanism--libpcap or WinPCAP--tells it.)

...and if you have libpcap on Linux, and it wasn't built with support for the PACKET_STATISTICS getsockopt() operation, it can't find out how many packets were dropped by the capture socket, and will report 0 as the number of dropped packets.

I don't know whether the libpcap in FC4 is built with that support or not; the configure script should detect whether the <linux/if_packet.h> structure defines the tpacket_stats structure and, if so, enable support for the PACKET_STATISTICS getsockopt() operation.