Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can dumpcap show dropped packets statistics ?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:21:30 -0400

Lerdpong Lerdpaisarnwong wrote:
Hello,all
I am using dumpcap to dump my network stream(network bandwidth is 200-500Mbps) to .cap files because it's low level and drop should be lessed but dumpcap does not report any drop statistics. I would like to know whether it has drop. Can Dumpcap report dropped statistics? I used libpcap 0.8.3 and wireshark 0.99.5 on Fedora core 4

At least with Wireshark 1.0.0 'dumpcap' does tell if you if it dropped some packets or not:

Packets: 36 Packets dropped: 0

(AFAIK the number of dropped packets is whatever the capture mechanism--libpcap or WinPCAP--tells it.)