Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Build problems with Sun's compiler on Solaris 10

From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 08:33:35 +0000
Guy Harris wrote:
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

OK, I'm attaching the part of config.log from the 0.99.7.tar.gz file - there are no patches I've applied, nothing from trunk - just the latest 'stable' distribution.

I can attack the full config.log if you want, but it is over 200 KB, so I've cut it down quite a bit, but hopefully still included anything that might be useful.

That was sufficient to determine the problem.

Good
Unfortunately, it was checking for that by compiling with the GCC flags to check for undeclared functions and to treat warnings as errors, and was doing so *even if the compiler wasn't GCC*; compilers that don't recognize those files would fail when trying to compile.

As a long time Solaris user, I have seen countless cases of programs not building properly since the compiler is assumed to be gcc. But it is good to see wireshark developers aim for the program to run with other compilers - some people think everyone should use gcc. But on SPARC, Suns compilers are definitely better.

I've checked in a change to do that check only if you're compiling with warnings treated as errors (the way we do that currently works only with GCC, and we default to *not* treating warnings as errors when not compiling with GCC).
Good.