Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Build problems with Sun's compiler on Solaris 10

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:25:19 -0800
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

OK, I'm attaching the part of config.log from the 0.99.7.tar.gz file - there are no patches I've applied, nothing from trunk - just the latest 'stable' distribution.

I can attack the full config.log if you want, but it is over 200 KB, so I've cut it down quite a bit, but hopefully still included anything that might be useful.

That was sufficient to determine the problem.

Because, when compiling with GCC, we default to treating warnings as errors (in the hopes of reducing the chance that errors will get added to the code base), and because, in the case I described (where you have a library with routines not declared in the corresponding header file, because the library was updated but the header wasn't), you would get errors when trying to use a routine of that sort, the configure script was checking for that.

Unfortunately, it was checking for that by compiling with the GCC flags to check for undeclared functions and to treat warnings as errors, and was doing so *even if the compiler wasn't GCC*; compilers that don't recognize those files would fail when trying to compile.

I've checked in a change to do that check only if you're compiling with warnings treated as errors (the way we do that currently works only with GCC, and we default to *not* treating warnings as errors when not compiling with GCC).