Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Exporting objects with invalid default filenames

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:25:47 -0400

Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
On 10/24/07, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since it's primarily Windows that should have this problem (AFAICR most
*NIXs allow anything other than "/" in a file name) it should be easy
enough to find a list of prohibited chars.

in *NIX filenames  with spaces  are particularly tedious... I
personally would forbid spaces in filenames en-toto as they tend to
make scripts fail...

Haha, a friend of mine used to keep a program around whose file name was " " (just a space) to confound *NIX newbies. (I can't remember if the program did anything interesting or not.)

More seriously, though, those working inside some desktop environment (like GNOME) don't have to worry about what's in file names since the environment takes care of making sure the file names are handled appropriately.

(Your preference does make an argument to have the list of chars-banned-from-file-names configurable though in thinking more about it now I'm not sure where such a preference would be.)