Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Exporting objects with invaliddefault filenames

From: "Mark G." <lists03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 07:27:17 -0700

Either way would work. I think it would be simpler and
more intuitive to only use an incremental filename when
the exporter encounters a file with an invalid default
filename. I think an _ideal_ implementation would be to
provide a checkbox enabling the user to specify whether
he wants all exported objects to use the incremental
filename, or only the objects whose default filenames
are invalid.

> Do you have any other ideas of a good way to fix this?
> Maybe letting the user click on the filename field and
> change the ones they want to?

That would be one way to do it. But this could also become
tedious, if the file list is long. And of course the user
may not be able to identify all of the invalid filenames
until the exporter complains about them.

Another approach would be to allow the user to enter a
filespec consisting of a base filename and wildcards that
would be replaced by an incremental number. In my current
project for example, I am downloading a large number of
JPEG2000 files. So I might enter the following filespec
to be used for all objects with invalid default filenames:

IMAGE????.JP2

As the exporter encounters objects with invalid filenames,
it will name them IMAGE0001.JP2, IMAGE0002.JP2, and so on.

BTW, Wireshark is a _most_ excellent product. This feature
would make it even _more_ excellent (for me, at least.  :-)

Thanks
-Mark