Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Beginner

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:06:09 -0700
You're being too modest Laura. The lab kit is a fantastic resource and
reality check for those who have anything to do with networks.

People, Laura explains protocol analysis better than anyone I've ever
read. (Yes, you can blush now Laura.) Clear, concise and eminently
readable she makes what can be rather dry reading fun. Better, it's
accessible to the average network professional - ubergeek credentials not
required! Laura frequently writes on the subject for various magazines;
she has a number of great entry level articles available online at
connection magazine, http://www.novell.com/connectionmagazine . (She's
featured in this quarter's magazine.)  I'll make a couple of
recommendations for those starting out:

Introduction to Network Analysis. If you're just starting out, you NEED
this. How and why, with examples and humor. Even most managers will find
this accessible.
TCP Analysis and Troubleshooting. TCP/IP won the protocol wars, so you
need to understand how the protocol suite is put together.

Both of these are available either electronic or hard copy; check out
http://www.packet-level.com/books.htm .

You can also purchase these with other titles as a set - I bought the
Master Library a couple of years ago, and even as an out of pocket
professional purchase I've never regretted it. I can't think of a better
resource if you're serious about getting into network analysis.

Randy Grein
Network Engineer

"Laura Chappell" <lchappell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/12/2007 09:33 PM
Please respond to
Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Community support list for Wireshark'" <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [Wireshark-users] Beginner

In addition, you can download the ISO image of the Laura’s Lab Kit v8 from
www.novell.com/connectionmagazine/laurachappell.html - there are training
resources on the DVD.  In addition, at that same URL I have recorded
monthly articles on network troubleshooting, network forensics and
reconnaissance. Free to all.

I agree with the need to understand the protocols! I co-authored “Guide to
TCP/IP” with Ed Tittel – not sure where it is sold – it’s used as a
college textbook – check Amazon I guess.

Laura Chappell
Founder, Wireshark University
Sr. Protocol/Security Analyst, Protocol Analysis Institute

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use and/or
received this communication in error, please delete all copies of the
message and its attachements and notify the sender immediately.