Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Beginner

From: zuoheng <zh.huang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:25:24 +0800
I am new to Wireshark too. But I would share some experience with you.

First, before you use Wireshark analyzing some network traffic, you need have some knowledge about TCP/IP fundamental. Such as ARP packets, DNS query packets, IP sourece address, IP destination address, TCP port number, UDP port number, are quite basic concepts of TCP/IP stack.

"Interworking with TCP/IP" Volume 1 or "Illustration TCP/IP" Volume 1 are two good books to read.

Second, you may move to speicifid application, such as http, email, nfs, cifs. These are upper layer
protocol based on TCP/IP. One of Wireshark's strong point is that it provides so many dissectors to decode protocols. Though Wireshark is a good tool to capture and decode network traffic, and even give an
analyzing, you'd better know the protocol by your own and then utilize Wireshark.

www.wiresharktraning.com has a free section of video cource and some tech notes, you may find it useful.

http://www.wiresharktraining.com/files/msteched_traces.zip
http://www.wiresharktraining.com/files/2007_microsoft_chappell.zip

my 2 cents.