Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] RTP Stream Analyses [Marker Bit]

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:11:54 +0200
Hi,

See bugs 165 and 269 on this. It's as the RFC states: "The use of the marker bit is profile specific". Currently the RTP analysis is biased towards audio, so video profiles may suffer.

Thanx,
Jaap

Lars Ruoff wrote:
 From my memories:
packets with the marker bit set don't take part in the jitter calculation.
This is because in RTP audio streams marked packets usually mark the end of silence periods. The wrong jitter values probably come from the fact that there is no (or at least not the right) sampling clock rate defined for the used payload type.
Both issues would be worth revisiting.
Lars