Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:52:40 -0800
Robert D. wrote:
well, after the reboot, when I click wireshark, there are (again) no
interfaces from which to capture .. most annoying since I seem to be
occasionally able to run it in the right permission level
If you fixed the problem by manually changing the permissions on the BPF
devices, that doesn't persist after a reboot (because /dev isn't on
disk, it's in an in-memory "device file system" which gets destroyed on
shutdown and rebuilt after a boot).  See my other mail with the ChmodBPF
startup item for a way to arrange to have the permissions changed every
time you boot.