Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

From: "Robert D." <210525p42015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:18:20 -0500
sebb said the following:

ok .. by using 'get info' I chown'd from admin to rd ... and ,,, anyway
.. if I double click Wireshark, x-11 opens it AND all the network points
are displayed.

However, once I select en1 and capture, I can no longer get internet
access from mail client nor browser ... even when I kill both x-11 and
wireshark ... checking 'activity monitor' reveals they are gone ... but
no internet access until I re-boot the computer.

but in activity mon only x-11/quartz-wm/xterm/bash and x11 shows up.
Wireshark does not appear in the monitor FWIW

currently no capture is running and I have access. I will, after sending
this, activate a capture and lose Internet until reboot.

Also, no data gets captured on en1 ...

BTW, thanks a whole lot for helping, I am totally stuck on this one but
really need ethereal to trace a vnc problem I am having trying to
access/control my elderly mom's computer remotely ...