Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

From: "Luis Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:39:03 +0100
On 2/13/07, Robert D. <210525p42015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thanks for the reply,

Luis Ontanon said the following:

> Assuming your user belongs to group  admin(80) you should:
<snip>
$ sudo chgrp admin /dev/bpf*
$  sudo chmod g+r /dev/bpf*
$ wireshark

(wireshark:550): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
this is a single user macbook on a home wireless to DSL system.

what does
$ id
yield in your case.

for me it does like this:
[id-est:~/src/ws/trunk] lego% id
uid=501(lego) gid=501(lego) groups=501(lego), 81(appserveradm),
79(appserverusr), 80(admin)

You can choose any of the groups that returns to chgrp to it.

-- Marshall McLuhan