Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] git doesn't like me anymore

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 17:21:01 -0800
On Jan 17, 2021, at 4:35 PM, ajay saxena <aileronajay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Each time you make a change to a file, you need to stage it irrespective of whether the file was present in an earlier commit and was "added" earlier. The staging is done by the git command git add. A staged change needs to be committed to create a commit out of it. So after you run git add, you will need to run git commit to create the commit.

Or, for changes to an existing file, you can just do "git commit -a"; to quote the result of "git help commit":

       -a, --all
           Tell the command to automatically stage files that have been
           modified and deleted, but new files you have not told Git about are
           not affected.

For a *new* file to be *added* to the repository, you either have to "git add" it.