Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] git doesn't like me anymore

From: ajay saxena <aileronajay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 16:35:50 -0800
Each time you make a change to a file, you need to stage it irrespective of whether the file was present in an earlier commit and was "added" earlier. The staging is done by the git command git add. A staged change needs to be committed to create a commit out of it. So after you run git add, you will need to run git commit to create the commit.

If you run the command git status when you have made changes to a file but not staged it git will display the file in the list of unstaged files.

When you run git status after running git add for the file, git will show the file in the list of staged files

Finally after running the commit command, the changed file wont show up as staged or unstaged files at which point you can push this commit and possibly merge the change in a different branch/repo.

A push is mechanism for you to update the remote copy of your local branch with commits from your local branch.

A pull/merge request helps to merge commits from a given repo/branch into another repo/branch. It also creates a diff between them that helps people to review the changes.