Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] usbpcap no longer recognized in 2.9

From: Shai Shapira <noforu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 15:46:06 -0700
Hey all
I noticed today I couldn't get Wireshark to show the usbpcap interface in the latest master build.
I'm quite positive this is because of the new addition to the way extcaps are interacted with, specificly (from README.extcap):
"
Since Wireshark 2.9 this call is extended with --extcap-version x.x, which will
allways represent the calling wireshark's version information. This can be used
to change behavior depending on the wireshark version in question
"
I tried calling usbpcap's executable (USBPcapCMD.exe) with the new  --extcap-version option and it returns this output:
"
USBPcapCMD.exe: --extcap-version: unknown option
"

While this is something that should be solved at usbpcap side, since Wireshark ships with the the latest usbpcap version (which doesn't support this option) in the installer, this might confuse the users.
My suggestion is either
1. Allow backward compatibility (calling the all extcaps which do not response 'nicely' to "--extcap-interfaces --extcap-version=2.9" with the old "--extcap-interfaces" args list)
2. Remove the usbpcap from the (NSIS) installer until a version which supports this option exists
What do you guys think?

Side note 1:
I have already opened an issue on usbpcap's GitHub page:
Side note 2:
There seems to be a misalignment between wireshark and README.extcap. The README says the new options' syntax is
"--extcap-version x.x"
and even provides an example but in my tests wireshark uses "--extcap-version=x.x". I'm assuming one of them is a mistake and should be fixed.

Cheers