Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How code recognizes that processing of all packets with tap

From: Jirka Novak <j.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:25:54 +0200
Hi Guy,

>>  The problem in this case I see with GUI. Imagine use case:
>> 1) User starts live capture
>> 2) User open a dialog where initiate operation which save file with
>> "finish" callback
>
> If you can do a save while a capture is still in progress (a save, not an "export specified packets"), that sounds like a bug, unless it somehow manages to have the capture being done switch from writing to the temporary file to the resulting saved file (unless the "save" just means moving the file from the temporary directory to another directory and renaming it), and does *not* end up causing the "finish" callback to be called.

you are right, it looks like bug/programmer error.
On the other hand it, to avoid it, it means that from now (when "finish"
call back will be implemented), each place using tapping with "finish"
must check whether it is running on live capture or not.
I'm afraid that such API will be difficult to use.

						Jirka Novak