Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] OSX build fails

From: Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:23:02 +0100
Wait a sec:

On 11/22/17 1:06 PM, João Valverde wrote:

> If you are installing Wireshark dependencies from binary repositories
> you should be installing Wireshark from a binary package too. If your
> vendor does not provide one complain to them.

This seems to me extreme.  It also seems to me that you are essentially
asking for a change in distribution with regard to Qt, which is the only
component (at least for the Mac) that is distributed in binary format.
Moreover, some of us really don't care that much about having the
source, and just want to add or amend dissectors, or the like.

And so coming back to the earlier discussion, I thought the original
poster was asking something rather simple, which was this: if people
aren't using autoconf, then perhaps the dist needs some cleaning up.  I
have no view on this since I don't use wireshark on linux, but others might.

Eliot