Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] OSX build fails

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 11:12:11 +0000

On 22-11-2017 13:35, João Valverde wrote:

On 22-11-2017 12:22, Anders Broman wrote:

It also feels like we are raising the bar on building and distribute Wireshark on older systems. Which may be OK but perhaps better done in 3.0, I think we also Need to set the level of required packages in 3.0 and keep at that level for some time.

The issue of requiring GNU Make is completely not controversial IMHO.

Whether this particular 4.0 version is suitable is another matter. Dario pointed out that it breaks Travis with Ubuntu Trusty so I would argue that version 4.0 of GNU Make is not a suitable requirement. Especially since removing the requirement is annoying but not so onerous.

The GNU Make dependency turned out to be more problematic in terms of portability and ease of use than I had antecipated so it has been removed. Wireshark should now support all makes again. I won't be adding it back without a strong reason.