Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Tips regarding measuring function execution times

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:10:37 +0100
Visual Studio

On 14 October 2017 at 15:18, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’m investigating a performance problem with the TRANSUM dissector.  I’d like to measure the accumulated time taken to execute a function in a Release build.  My basic idea is to do something like this:

guint32 execute_time_us;

.

.

start_stopwatch(&execute_time_us);

function_call_to_be_measured();

pause_stopwatch(&execute_time_us);

.

.

.

stop_and_output_stopwatch(&execute_time_us);

Is there a standard way to do this in Wireshark?  How can I output the accumulated time on, say, the Status Line?

Best regards…Paul

Visual Studio (Pro at least, not sure about Community), includes profiling tools, both sampling (less accurate, but least invasive) and instrumented (more accurate, more invasive).

--
Graham Bloice