Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building latest Wireshark using VS2013

From: Andreas <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 11:31:34 +0100
>> If I"m not mistaken, version 12.0.21005 was the first MSVC 2013 version.
>> Since 5 updates were released and we have no issue compiling the Wireshark
>> code with MSVC 2013 Update 5. The download link can be found here:
>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48129
>> Once upgraded, my bet is that no patch will be required.

The installation of VS2013 was very old, I must admit. I have installed
the "VS2013 Update 5" and the errors related to C source code are vanished.

So this was really a compiler bug. Sorry for the noise.

> -- The C compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.40629.0
> -- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.40629.0
>
> The compiler version can also be seen by typing 'cl' at the command line
> (when you have VC on the path).
I get this version number now at the command line. Would this an idea to
add the current version to the WSDG?

> There is no requirement to use a bitness of Cygwin that matches the
> Wireshark target platform, either 32 bit or 64 bit is fine.
Okay, I made another mistake. I missed Cygwin packages asciidoc and
docbook-xml45. That's my mistake, but this has not been detected in the
cmake phase.

So I got only 83 warnings no errors anymore:
- 81 times C4267: conversion from 'size_t' to 'int'
-  2 times C4244: conversion from '__int64' to 'int'

These could be avoided but don't affect the ability to build Wireshark
at all.

Merry Christmas!
Andreas