Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building latest Wireshark using VS2013

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 16:41:15 +0000

On 23 December 2016 at 10:08, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't know much about MSVC but my best guess is broken C99 support.

If I"m not mistaken, version 12.0.21005 was the first MSVC 2013 version. Since 5 updates were released and we have no issue compiling the Wireshark code with MSVC 2013 Update 5. The download link can be found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48129
Once upgraded, my bet is that no patch will be required.

As can be seen by the 3 windows buildslaves  at https://buildbot.wireshark.org/wireshark-master/waterfall, all build master successfully using VS2013.  From the buildslave Cmake generation step output the version in use is:

-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.40629.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.40629.0

The compiler version can also be seen by typing 'cl' at the command line (when you have VC on the path).

Unfortunately my Google-fu fails at finding any definitive list of compiler version strings.

There is no requirement to use a bitness of Cygwin that matches the Wireshark target platform, either 32 bit or 64 bit is fine.