Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding dynamic fields to tree from dissector

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:18:32 -0400
Wireshark is more than just a "nice tree".  Most users want to be able to find values within a packet and the only way you're able to do that is with hf_ items, so we now effectively made it a "requirement" to have an hf_ field for each field in the tree (subtree headings would be the exception)

The simplest approach for you would be to create 2 hf_ fields, a "field name" field and a "value" field (both FT_STRING).
Not sure if you'd want them consecutively in the same tree or if the "value" would be a subtree off of the "field name".
The "field name" field could be proto_tree_add_string_format similar to your proto_tree_add_text example below, and then you'd need another proto_tree_add_string for the "value" field.  You could "hide" the value field with PROTO_ITEM_SET_HIDDEN macro, but that's a generally discouraged practice.

However, I doubt your protocol is just a loop around a single proto_tree_add_text call of field/value pairs.  If your dissector has knowledge of values, arrays, submessages, etc, you probably want to pass that information along to the user so he can search through a capture to find such things. You may want to consider using the convert_proto_tree_add_text.pl script (in tools directory) to help convert your proto_tree_add_text calls into filterable fields.  That can save you a bunch of typing, but you still need to verify with names/filters for all of the fields.