Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding dynamic fields to tree from dissector

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:58:51 +0200
Hi,

Yes indeed, we try to make sure that the most important feature (the filtering) works as well as possible, which is undermined by using the add_text() API.

What you are saying is that there is no way to know how the message looks like until you’ve received it. That’s not unusual. But are you also saying that there is no definition of protocol elements for the message you receive? How does the receiving application understand the message then? By definition a protocol dissector looks at protocol elements and string them together while dissecting every detail of the message.

When you say packed, this means some sort of compression right? But after decompression you have or make a new TVB and start dissecting that. No problems there.

So, does this in anyway help? Can you find the protocol elements? The message may consist of any combination of these elements, but that does not mean that they have to be individually identified within the message. You can use the same dissection for the same type of protocol element over and over again.

Thanks,
Jaap