Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.01 call for test (2nd)

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:37:03 +0100

On 22 July 2015 at 17:25, Yang Luo <hsluoyb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

- for those having User Account Control activated, you need to start Wireshark as administrator (even without restricting Npcap to admin during installation) to have the driver started. Unfortunate... If this is the loopback adapter that triggers the issue at startup, should its installation be optional?

I don't know whether there are many people using Wireshark in a non-Admin privilege? If yes, then I think the lacking boot start support needs a solution. Making loopback code optional is kind of difficult, because its code is deep in the driver and has tight connection with other parts.

Most, if not all, will be running Wireshark unelevated, as this is a basic tenet of Wireshark use. There are millions of lines of code in Wireshark dissectors and they really shouldn't be given admin privs.

--
Graham Bloice