Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Npcap 0.01 call for test (2nd)

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 18:05:19 +0200
Hi Yang,

Hi Jim,

Thanks for testing!

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Jim Young <jyoung@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Yang,

Two comments on all for 2nd test.

1 - Should the name of the newer package reflect that this is a different Npcap package from the 1st one?  The 2nd package is named identical to the 1st one of npcap-nmap-0.01.exe.  The newly downloaded one was saved by the browser as npcap-nmap-0.01(1).exe to avoid clobbering the 1st one still in the Download folder.

From now on, I will use installer name such as npcap-nmap-0.01-r2.exe, which means revision 2 under version 0.01. I don't want to change version numbers, as current Npcap has many bugs and can't be released as a stable version yet.

2 - After uninstalling WinPcap, but not rebooting, I started installing the newest Npcap package but the new install is hung at the step:

Execute: "C:\Program Files\Npcpa\NPFInstall.exe" -il

I have improved this part logic, plz test the latest installer:

This operation takes some time indeed, but should be less than 20s.

I just gave a quick test to 0.1-r2 version on my Windows 10 virtual machine.
- I uninstalled WinPcap and installed Npcap in Winpcap mode without reboot. I got the same warning as Tyson regarding the upgrade of npf.sys file, presumably because yours as version 0.1.0.710 against Winpcap that uses version 4.1.0.2980. Maybe you should advice to reboot the PC after uninstalling Winpcap.
- The loopback interface is still named 'Ethernet 2'. I run on Windows 10.0.10240 with French local in case this matters.
- After reboot, Wireshark could not see any interface. I doubled checked the driver state and saw that it was stopped. Manually starting it with 'sc npf start' command allowed Wireshark to see interfaces. After reboot the service does not start automatically.

I will try to test the WWAN capture beginning of next week.

Pascal.