Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bluetooth and Miscellaneous menus

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:44:48 -0800
On Jan 28, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to add new menu in Wireshark for Bluetooth (in February). It
> will be menu on the right of "Telephony" in main menu. It will be
> named "Bluetooth". For now I have prepared only one entry for this
> menu, but I have ideas for another 3 new windows (3 "summary" dialogs
> and 1 graph), so I prefer to add Bluetooth menu now, then I will add
> new entries/dialogues next month(s). Of course there are ideas for
> another features, but those 4 will be done soon.

If there will be a lot of Bluetooth-specific features, they might as well get a top-level menu item.

If we start getting too many top-level menu items, we can think about how to handle that; for now, one more top-level item seems OK to me.

> What do you think? I think only about Qt UI, should I also do that for GTK?

Only if you'll be writing code for both toolkits.  If we can get all the current GUI functionality implemented in Qt before the 2.0 release, you might want to just write Qt code and not bother with a GTK+ version.

> Or there is "RTP Player" in telephony, so it also works for Bluetooth (in
> case that is not related to telephony at all so Bluetooth user may do
> not know about this functionality).

If it can play audio from any RTP stream, it might also belong in other menu trees, such as the "Miscellaneous" one you mention.

> Also I think about "Miscellaneous" menu for everything that is not
> Telephony, Bluetooth or Statistics. I have idea to implement ADB
> (Android Debug Bridge) Framebuffer Player. It will play or show frame
> of framebuffer found in logs. ADB is currently supported over USB and
> TCP layer.

"Miscellaneous"?  "Tools"?  I'm not sure what a good name would be - "not Telephony, Bluetooth or Statistics" defines it by what it's *not*, which doesn't help say what it *is*.