Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] What is the data parameter of call_dissector_with_data?

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 00:09:11 +0100
Hi,

To fix a bug, I need to pass the protocol type from a STARTTLS-like
protocol to the SSL dissector. I was about to use the "unused" data
field of dissect_ssl for this, but it turns out that the TCP dissector
fills in this field. That makes it entirely useless for other purposes
(such as passing parameters from via call_dissector_with_data).

It seems that my best alternative is p_add_proto_data (documented in
README.dissector, section 2.5 Per-packet information).

What is actually the purpose of the "data" parameter? It is not
documented well AFAIK, the packet-PROTOABBREV.c does not mention it at
all for example besides marking it as unused.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu