Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The possibility of a curses based Wireshark

From: Stephen Fisher <sfisher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:23:08 -0700
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:46:08AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

> I don't think completely eliminating GLib is a project for 2.0 (or
> whatever the version number of the Qt-as-the-default Wireshark will
> be).
>
> That might happen in the future, but that means changing a lot more of
> Wireshark to C++ code.  I don't have a problem with doing that, but I
> do note, for what it's worth, that I can see the compile process
> notably slow down once it hits the ui/qt directory. :-)

Now that we've gone ahead and allowed C++ code into Wireshark after
years of resistance:), will we always require the user to have a C++
compiler available?  That would simplify refactoring the code to call
GTK vs. Qt vs. any other UI-toolkit code.  We could have a single
main.cpp that displays common things like -h usage and -v version
information and then call the UI-toolkit specific code as necessary.