Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The possibility of a curses based Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:53:25 -0800
On Nov 28, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Stephen Fisher <sfisher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now that we've gone ahead and allowed C++ code into Wireshark after
> years of resistance:), will we always require the user to have a C++
> compiler available?  That would simplify refactoring the code to call
> GTK vs. Qt vs. any other UI-toolkit code.  We could have a single
> main.cpp that displays common things like -h usage and -v version
> information and then call the UI-toolkit specific code as necessary.

I'd call it wireshark.cpp, but, other than that:

	1) that eliminates the greasy hack we're doing with autotools to force the Qt Wireshark to be linked with the C++ library

and

	2) should let us (modulo toolkit-specific argv parsing) have more common code between Wireshark with different UI toolkits

so, if we're willing to have Wireshark always be a C++ program (even if it has a lot of C code in it), that sounds good to me.