Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Michal Orynicz <michal.orynicz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:41:20 +0100
Hi,
I am also in favor of letting the user decide about language used on runtime. Let the default language set be the system language.

One use case that is probably not so rare, is that You have a system language that is not supported yet by Wireshark. User should be able to choose from available languages the one he knows best. And that is not always english.

On 6 November 2014 10:32, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > +1. Most software I use allow me to manually override the language
>> > without messing with the environment variables.
>>
>> Do you use any GUI applications other than Wireshark?
>

> Yes, tons of as I'm on Windows :)
>

>> On what operating system do you use them?
>

> See above
>

>> Do they all offer a manual language override, so that you can set a
>> particular application's language independently of your personal "global"
>> language setting?
>

> The only ones I can think to supporting multiple languages without a GUI
> option to set it are...  command line based coming from Linux world (like
> mercurial) and here I do use the environment variable. But it's more painful
> for a lazy guy and not a common use case for a standard Windows user I
> think.
> Moreover I prefer to have a good interface in English rather than a partial
> / bad French translation :)
>

>> > And here we are talking about a functionality we already have.
>>
>> This is functionality we have in the Qt version, which most people aren't
>> using, and which is still incomplete.  I.e., it's functionality we have in a
>> version under development.
>

> Agreed, but it's also the first time we introduce language support so it's
> the right time to discuss this kind of thing.
>

>> I do not at all agree with, and will never agree with, the belief that
>> removing existing functionality is inherently wrong.  If the functionality
>> is unused, or is rarely used and if its capabilities can be achieved in
>> another way, I consider that a very good reason to consider removing it.
>

> I understand your point. On the other point it's really common practice (at
> least on Windows) to allow user to select the language from the GUI.
>

>> > Removing it would be a big loss in my opinion.
>>
>> In what ways is it used that its disappearance would be a big loss rather
>> than, at most, a minor loss?
>

> For me: a minor loss as I know the environment variables allowing to
> override it. For the common Windows user, it might be a bigger loss.
>
> Pascal.

Hi,

Like other no English people, i want to have the choose to select the
language on Gui.
For me, it is a not a problem to have a option to choose the language
(there is a lot of option/preference on Wireshark...)
For some software, it is possible to select the language when you
install the software, but no very fan to this option...

Regards,

Pozdrawiam / Best regards
Michał Orynicz, Software Engineer
Tieto Corporation

Product Development Services

http://www.tieto.com / http://www.tieto.pl
---
ASCII: Michal Orynicz
location: Swobodna 1 Street, 50-088 Wrocław, Poland
room: 5.01 (desk next to 5.08)
---
Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the
notified that any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.
---
---
Tieto Poland spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością z siedzibą w
Szczecinie, ul. Malczewskiego 26. Zarejestrowana w Sądzie Rejonowym
Szczecin-Centrum w Szczecinie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego
Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem 0000124858. NIP: 8542085557. REGON:
812023656. Kapitał zakładowy: 4 271500 PLN