Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:32:34 +0100
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > +1. Most software I use allow me to manually override the language
>> > without messing with the environment variables.
>>
>> Do you use any GUI applications other than Wireshark?
>

> Yes, tons of as I'm on Windows :)
>

>> On what operating system do you use them?
>

> See above
>

>> Do they all offer a manual language override, so that you can set a
>> particular application's language independently of your personal "global"
>> language setting?
>

> The only ones I can think to supporting multiple languages without a GUI
> option to set it are...  command line based coming from Linux world (like
> mercurial) and here I do use the environment variable. But it's more painful
> for a lazy guy and not a common use case for a standard Windows user I
> think.
> Moreover I prefer to have a good interface in English rather than a partial
> / bad French translation :)
>

>> > And here we are talking about a functionality we already have.
>>
>> This is functionality we have in the Qt version, which most people aren't
>> using, and which is still incomplete.  I.e., it's functionality we have in a
>> version under development.
>

> Agreed, but it's also the first time we introduce language support so it's
> the right time to discuss this kind of thing.
>

>> I do not at all agree with, and will never agree with, the belief that
>> removing existing functionality is inherently wrong.  If the functionality
>> is unused, or is rarely used and if its capabilities can be achieved in
>> another way, I consider that a very good reason to consider removing it.
>

> I understand your point. On the other point it's really common practice (at
> least on Windows) to allow user to select the language from the GUI.
>

>> > Removing it would be a big loss in my opinion.
>>
>> In what ways is it used that its disappearance would be a big loss rather
>> than, at most, a minor loss?
>

> For me: a minor loss as I know the environment variables allowing to
> override it. For the common Windows user, it might be a bigger loss.
>
> Pascal.

Hi,

Like other no English people, i want to have the choose to select the
language on Gui.
For me, it is a not a problem to have a option to choose the language
(there is a lot of option/preference on Wireshark...)
For some software, it is possible to select the language when you
install the software, but no very fan to this option...

Regards,