Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:31:36 -0800
On Nov 5, 2014, at 2:30 AM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Please run "LC_ALL=it_IT wireshark"
>>
>> Does it work on Windows? I do not remember to know anyone GUI
>> application without option to change language by GUI. Do you know how
>> to change locale after running application? (QEvent::LocaleChange ?)
>> If this is not possible then dynamic change application language will
>> be lost.
>
> +1. Most software I use allow me to manually override the language without messing with the environment variables.

Do you use any GUI applications other than Wireshark?

On what operating system do you use them?

Do they all offer a manual language override, so that you can set a particular application's language independently of your personal "global" language setting?

> And here we are talking about a functionality we already have.

This is functionality we have in the Qt version, which most people aren't using, and which is still incomplete.  I.e., it's functionality we have in a version under development.

I do not at all agree with, and will never agree with, the belief that removing existing functionality is inherently wrong.  If the functionality is unused, or is rarely used and if its capabilities can be achieved in another way, I consider that a very good reason to consider removing it.

> Removing it would be a big loss in my opinion.

In what ways is it used that its disappearance would be a big loss rather than, at most, a minor loss?