Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Move plugins/ to epan/dissectors/plugins/

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:46:54 -0800
On Dec 11, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also there is a reason to kept HAVE_PLUGINS ? (There is some people build wireshark without plugins ?)

Wireshark is built without plugin support if either

	1) GLib doesn't provide dynamic-loading support on the platform for which you're building

or

	2) somebody doing a build from source explicitly specified --without-plugins.

I don't think the former will be the case on any major platforms, unless you're building for a really old OS (which would either be a now-dead OS or an old version of a still-living OS).

I don't know whether anybody would specify --without-plugins these days.  (I guess *if* Apple were to allow iOS App Store programs to capture traffic, or *if* a version of Wireshark that can't capture packets were deemed useful on some iOS machine, *and* we were to make an iOS version of Wireshark, we'd need to support building without plugin support.  I don't foresee apple allowing App Store programs to capture traffic, and doubt a non-capturing version of Wireshark would be all that useful on your iPad/iPhone/etc. - where are you going to get the captures you're reading?)

So perhaps we can get rid of HAVE_PLUGINS, have the configure script fail if g_module_supported() returns "no, modules aren't supported", and possibly get rid of the --with-plugins configure option if there's no reason to override the location of the plugin directory (otherwise, it should fail if --without-plugins is specified).