Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 1.11.0 release

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:27:59 +0200
On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 05:33:56PM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:
> Nmake: Qt isn't a part of wireshark-win{32,64}-libs. I haven't added it
> yet because it's fairly large:
>
> $ du -sh Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win*
> 539M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32
> 141M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32.zip
> 594M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win64
> 149M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win64.zip
>
> For people doing development on Windows, would you rather have the Qt
> SDK in a central location on your system (I've been using c:\Qt) or in
> WIRESHARK_LIB_DIR with everything else (which means taking up a lot of
> space if you have multiple WIRESHARK_LIB_DIRs)?
>
> Also, should we dump the Qt ZIP archives into SVN or distribute them
> separately? Or tell people to download the official version from
> qt-project.org? I've signed the DLLs and executables in the archives
> above with the Wireshark Foundation key. I'm not sure if Digia does the
> same for the official distribution.
>
> > How about dropping the automake based and nmake based makefile systems and
> > replacing both with CMake?
> > CMake should be available on every platform where Qt builds.
>
> CMake is still a bit incomplete but that's quickly changing thanks to
> Jörg. I've been using it with Qt Creator for UI development on OS X for
> the past few weeks and it's been working well so far.

The longer I think about it (still trying to get the first QT5 build going)
I'd rather have an install of the "official" packages. I haven't checked
yet whether they put some keys in the registry (because I don't know how/where
to check and it's not high on my list) but it will make things easier for those
who want to try out newer versions than those in our repo.

Ciao
     Jörg