Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 1.11.0 release

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 17:33:56 -0700
On 10/9/13 2:47 AM, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> 2013/10/8 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I've scheduled the release of 1.11.0 for next Tuesday, October 15.
>> Corrections and additions for the release notes are welcome.
>>
>> Unfortunately the transitional state of our UI will be reflected in the
>> release packages:
>>
>> Windows 32-bit: GTK3 and Qt
>> Windows 64-bit: GTK2 and Qt
>> OS X 64-bit: Qt
>> OS X 32-bit: GTK2
>> Source: GTK3
>>
>> Hopefully this won't cause too much confusion. I'll probably enable Qt
>> by default in the sources in the next few days, so at least the Windows
>> and source tarball will match.
> Do you mean enabling Qt and GTK in CMake builds?

Everything -- Autotools, CMake and Nmake. This brings up an issue for
Nmake: Qt isn't a part of wireshark-win{32,64}-libs. I haven't added it
yet because it's fairly large:

$ du -sh Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win*
539M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32
141M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32.zip
594M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win64
149M    Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win64.zip

For people doing development on Windows, would you rather have the Qt
SDK in a central location on your system (I've been using c:\Qt) or in
WIRESHARK_LIB_DIR with everything else (which means taking up a lot of
space if you have multiple WIRESHARK_LIB_DIRs)?

Also, should we dump the Qt ZIP archives into SVN or distribute them
separately? Or tell people to download the official version from
qt-project.org? I've signed the DLLs and executables in the archives
above with the Wireshark Foundation key. I'm not sure if Digia does the
same for the official distribution.

> How about dropping the automake based and nmake based makefile systems and
> replacing both with CMake?
> CMake should be available on every platform where Qt builds.

CMake is still a bit incomplete but that's quickly changing thanks to
Jörg. I've been using it with Qt Creator for UI development on OS X for
the past few weeks and it's been working well so far.