Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kept support of Visual Studio 2005

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 21:14:22 +0100
On 20 May 2013 17:54, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/20/13 8:37 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

> This is the small end of a long and wriggly worm.
>
> Windows builds can consume system libraries from two sources, the
> Compiler\VS Studio installation and the Platform SDK.  Merely checking
> the compiler version isn't necessarily the correct option as the build
> may be using a much newer version of the SDK that doesn't have the
> issue.  In addition the build may be targeted at version of Windows that
> doesn't suffer the issue.  I would like to have the time to sort this out.

Would reducing the number of supported compilers in config.nmake help in
that regard?

It would be a start.

> In general though, I agree that for Windows, supporting old compilers
> isn't really necessary as Visual Studio will generally install on older
> OS's, excepting that VS2012 limits support to Win7 and later, so we
> might need to support VS2010 for XP and Vista, although even XP dies
> (from mainstream support) in Apr 2014.

I'm OK with removing VS 2005 and .Net Framework 2.0.

Personally I'd cut VS 2008 off as well.  Supporting the current and previous version should be OK, especially as VS isn't distributed as part of the OS so isn't tied to it and the Express editions are just a download away, and all versions can co-exist happily on the same machine I think (definitely true for VS2005 & 2012, so probably true for other versions).

Graham