Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New icon as seen over rdesktop

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 09:57:20 -0400
On 05/15/13 16:49, Gerald Combs wrote:
On 5/15/13 11:57 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
Hi Gerald,

I noticed someplace where the new Wireshark icon...  Well, looks a
little funny.  I don't mind at all but I mention it because it seems
sometimes this kind of thing drives graphics people crazy.

The attached crop of a screenshot is what I see when I rdesktop from
Fedora 18 into a Windows XP laptop (which happens to have 1.10.0rc1
installed).  Note the... Pixelization(?) around the edges of the icon.

The only interesting options I give to rdesktop are "-xl -E".  When I
start it, it does complain thus:

WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling
back to 16

but I think this isn't related to color depth.

I it *might* be. Elliott added a semi-transparent white border after
Balint pointed out that the icon gets lost over a blue background. On an

Yep, you're right.  Following the instructions here:

http://blog.dhampir.no/content/remote-desktop-does-not-support-colour-depth-24-falling-back-to-16

Gave me 24-bit color and now the jagged edge is gone.

XP machine here the icon looks fine in 32-bit color but I get a white
jaggy border when I switch to 16-bit color. I'm not sure how to fix it
without giving up the subtle border it produces when you have full alpha
rendering.

Yeah, as I said, just wanted to mention it...