Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New icon as seen over rdesktop

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:49:06 -0700
On 5/15/13 11:57 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> I noticed someplace where the new Wireshark icon...  Well, looks a
> little funny.  I don't mind at all but I mention it because it seems
> sometimes this kind of thing drives graphics people crazy.
>
> The attached crop of a screenshot is what I see when I rdesktop from
> Fedora 18 into a Windows XP laptop (which happens to have 1.10.0rc1
> installed).  Note the... Pixelization(?) around the edges of the icon.
>
> The only interesting options I give to rdesktop are "-xl -E".  When I
> start it, it does complain thus:
>
>> WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling
>> back to 16
>
> but I think this isn't related to color depth.

I it *might* be. Elliott added a semi-transparent white border after
Balint pointed out that the icon gets lost over a blue background. On an
XP machine here the icon looks fine in 32-bit color but I get a white
jaggy border when I switch to 16-bit color. I'm not sure how to fix it
without giving up the subtle border it produces when you have full alpha
rendering.

BTW, this isn't limited to XP. The Debian Menu System[1] specification
only allows XPM icons so we're pretty much guaranteed to look awful there.

  [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/