Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Icon Poll - is this OK?

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:06:00 -0400
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Kurt Knochner
<ws.dev.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quoting Evan Huus:
>
>> to answer the first, not the second. That poll (although the sample
>> size was fairly small) indicates a strong preference for the
>> record/stop metaphor.
>

> does that mean to replace 'capture' with 'record' in the whole documentation
> or will it be an accepted discrepancy between the button action (record) and
> the rest of the docs (capture)?

I think the idea is that the action is still capturing, we simply use
the audio/video record metaphor because there is no obvious icon for
'capture packets'.

In some ways the ideal icon would be one that explicitly meant just
"capture packets" without any appeal to metaphor, but such a thing
does not exist.

Evan