Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Icon Poll - is this OK?

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:35:16 -0400
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Eric Wedel <Eric.Wedel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the graphics.
>

> Funny, on the text-only poll I voted for record/stop, as this is intuitively
> correct.
>
> [One can get in trouble for playing packets back into a live network. :-) ]
>
> But it seems that the record button (small red dot on a large button)
> doesn't
>
> transfer well to the screen, looking instead like an indicator light.

I think this is indicative of the fact that we have two separate questions here:
- Which metaphor should we use?
- What should the icons look like given a specific metaphor?

This is why I didn't include icons on my original poll - I was trying
to answer the first, not the second. That poll (although the sample
size was fairly small) indicates a strong preference for the
record/stop metaphor. Perhaps we just need to take a closer look at
what icon we use to indicate 'record'?

Evan