Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Get_cpu_info on platforms other than Windows?

From: Kurt Knochner <ws.dev.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 16:59:26 +0100
On 2013-02-06 22:52, Guy Harris wrote:
	2) it's easier to get them to open About -> Wireshark than to figure
up whatever tool is appropriate on their particular OS or to otherwise
get the CPU information.

right, but why build that into wireshark with all "hassles" of interoperability?

However, there's other information that might be useful, such as bus
speeds, memory speeds, etc.; I doubt we want to gather a ton of
information about that.

why not have a 'portable' script (perl, python, lua) that scans the OS for different available system tools, gathers the data and reports back whatever it finds (lsb_release -a, uname -xyz, cat /proc/cpu, systctl -a, etc.). Windows however, would need some special treatment, but adjusting a script should be
easier than adding the same functionality to the Wireshark code.

And asking the user to run 'crash_report.py' from the install directory
should be no problem, as the user has an interest in getting the problem
fixed.

Just a few thoughts ....

Regards
Kurt