Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Get_cpu_info on platforms other than Windows?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:52:59 -0800
On Feb 6, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why do we need to show system information in Wireshark which is
> available in system specific tools which are better suited for this
> task?

It *might* be interesting for performance questions if

	1) the user submits a bug and provides the configuration information

or

	2) it's easier to get them to open About -> Wireshark than to figure up whatever tool is appropriate on their particular OS or to otherwise get the CPU information.

However, there's other information that might be useful, such as bus speeds, memory speeds, etc.; I doubt we want to gather a ton of information about that.

I don't see it as being useful for crashing bugs or mis-dissection bugs or....

*Memory* size might be useful not just for performance bugs but also, in combination with swap-space size, could be useful for out-of-memory bugs.