Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Get_cpu_info on platforms other than Windows?

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 23:53:12 +0100
Guy Harris skrev 2013-02-06 22:52:
On Feb 6, 2013, at 1:05 PM, B�lint R�czey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why do we need to show system information in Wireshark which is
available in system specific tools which are better suited for this
task?
It *might* be interesting for performance questions if

	1) the user submits a bug and provides the configuration information

or

	2) it's easier to get them to open About -> Wireshark than to figure up whatever tool is appropriate on their particular OS or to otherwise get the CPU information.

However, there's other information that might be useful, such as bus speeds, memory speeds, etc.; I doubt we want to gather a ton of information about that.

I don't see it as being useful for crashing bugs or mis-dissection bugs or....

*Memory* size might be useful not just for performance bugs but also, in combination with swap-space size, could be useful for out-of-memory bugs.
Yes that's the reasoning behind it, printing the OS version (lsb_release -a) might be interesting too but that
seems even trickier.
Regards
Anders