Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Store selected Wireshark prefs in pcapng capture file ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:16:48 -0800
On Mar 5, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Anders Broman wrote:

> I think there is two paths that can be taken either add options and/or blocks as needed to the file format or
> encode the comment in some way, using the preferences simple format is one option.
> I'm leaning towards using the comments somehow. One could have Wireshark begin/end tags for
> other programs to skip that part of the comments.

I presume you don't mean "store them in opt_comment options", as other apps should not have to know about special tags in comments to indicate that they're not really comments.

I'd go for registering a "wireshark preferences" option and just have it store raw preferences-file text; we'd also want, I think, another option for UATs, with the name of the UAT and its contents.