Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Store selected Wireshark prefs in pcapng capture file ?

From: Tyson Key <tyson.key@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 18:39:27 +0000
Hi Bill,

I don't know if the format's developers ever contemplated that use
case - although they designed it to be fairly extensible, and I'm sure
that someone could design a new type of block that stores serialised
application preferences (in compressed XML, JSON, or some other
format?), after requesting an type ID for it.

I haven't thought too much about how you'd actually go about deciding
upon the preferences to store - although adding a universal "Save
Current Preferences" option to the file saving dialogue, and having an
option in the corresponding file opening dialogue to temporarily
import/set those preferences might work.

I'm sure that others will come up with better ideas, though...

Tyson.