Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Meeting minutes from (pre)FOSDEM meeting

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:15:25 -0500
On 2/3/2012 11:50 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

cmake:
- on windows

    + cmake would allow out-of-tree builds on Windows
    + starting with a cygwin/nmake alternative would be an idea as there is
      no native windows / VisualStudio setup available right now.

Meaning: out-of-tree  using nmake ?

(If so, I coulkd take a shot at that).

My main interest in CMake for Windows is to produce VS project files
to ease the entry barrier for windows devs wedded to VS.

The out of tree build idea came up when discussing CMake which
apparently by default creates Makefiles for an out of tree build, and
this would help those Windows devs trying to build both Win32 and win64
from the same source tree.

For an out of tree nmake I would think you would need cl and linker
flags indicating the intermediate and output directories to use.

FYI my no-cygwin build now creates a Wireshark executable but needs
some more work to replace some other bash scripts for tshark e.g.
make-tapreg-dotc

My plan is to move all such code generation tasks from bash to
python
so they are cross platform and for Windows not dependant on Cygwin, and
then the windows specific bash scripts would be replaced with PowerShell
scripts or Python scripts. A no-cygwin build still needs a few other
items, namely bison and flex from GnuWin32 and of course Python and
Perl. The GnuWin32 bits would be bundled into a zip and placed on the
Wireshark server in a similar manner to all the other windows zip files
that are downloaded by win-setup.(sh|ps1)

So: Do you think fixing the current Makefile.nmake to be able to do out-of-tree builds is worth any effort ?

I think I read the above to indicate "no" (or maybe: "wait until non-cygwin name is complete and then fix that" ?)