Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Meeting minutes from (pre)FOSDEM meeting

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:34:49 -0000

> So: Do you think fixing the current Makefile.nmake to be able to do
out-of-
> tree builds is worth any effort ?
>
> I think I read the above to indicate "no" (or maybe: "wait until
non-cygwin
> name is complete and then fix that" ?)

My personal feeling is that CMake is the way to go, and that the distributed
Makefile.nmake and the support bash scripts for the Windows build will
become deprecated.  I believe that CMake can generate a Makefile.nmake as
well as Visual Studio project files so all preferred workflows should be
available.  CMake supports both in and out of tree builds, so folks can pick
their poison, but I would expect the default to be out of tree.

I'm treating my current no-cygwin build modifications as a learning exercise
until I get up to speed with CMake, but would make them available if anyone
is interested.  Currently I've got as far as downloading the required libs,
recompiling those that need it and then creating a wireshark.exe.  I need to
do some more work for TShark, and probably the rest of the executables.