Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 36586: /trunk/ /trunk/tools/: win32-

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:16:53 -0700
On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:44 AM, etxrab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=36586
>
> User: etxrab
> Date: 2011/04/12 08:44 AM
>
> Log:
> Build with zlib-1.2.5 for win32
>
> zlib for GTK hasd this comment:
> /* LFS conventions have no meaning on Windows. Looking for feature
>  * macros like _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE or _FILE_OFFSET_BITS on Windows is
>  * wrong. So make sure any such macros misguidedly defined by the
>  * user have no effect. Windows has large file support, but the
>  * official zlib DLL has not been built to provide the 64-bit offset
>  * APIs, sigh.  So we have just patched out the 64-bit offset API
>  * from this header file.
>  */

This probably only applies to the file I/O routines in zlib; now that we're no longer using those routines (thanks, Jakub!), that shouldn't matter.

(We're also using AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to turn on whatever #defines are necessary for large-file support on particular UN*X platforms, and are using the APIs from the C runtime that support 64-bit file sizes and offsets on Windows, so Wireshark should now be able to handle large files in 32-bit environments on UN*Xes where AC_SYS_LARGEFILE is sufficient to get large file support, and it should be able to handle them on NT-based Windows - we no longer support Windows 9x/Me.  It should have supported large files in 64-bit environments on UN*X, and in 32-bit environments in 4.4-Lite-based UN*Xes such as *BSD and Mac OS X, even before these changes.)