Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Modify default settings?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:29:26 -0500
Stephen Fisher wrote:
Are we using the best default settings when Wireshark is installed for the first time on a machine? I always make these changes:

 - <uncheck> Ask for unsaved capture files

+1 for that. I push a /usr/local/share/preferences file to many of our systems mainly for that option.

 - <check> Welcome screen and title bar shows version

Makes sense to me.

 - Always start in directory (Desktop on Windows, ~/captures on Unix)
 - Change the toolbar style to "Icons & Text"
 - Add a "Packet Length (Bytes)" column titled "Bytes"

I don't add packet length, but I do add the Expert Info Severity column. Makes it easier to find warnings, etc.