Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Filter for generated items

From: Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:31:23 +0100
Hi I write a dissector DLL, that adds a generated item to the tree. After defining the hf_info with type FT_STRING, i use proto_item_append_text to show the generated string. But this item cannot be used neither to search or to filter for this item.

I have seen, that the packet-frame.c uses proto_item_append_string to show the protocol layers. This is also usable in a filter. Since proto_item_append_string is not exported, the function is not available for my dissector DLL.

How can I either add a hack to my DLL to simulate proto_item_append_string or provide another way to filter and find?

Regards,
Helge